Frequently Asked Questions

Are you licensed for wedding ceremonies?

No, but we are next door to the very pretty church of St Mary’s, Stansted. There are several other venues nearby where you can get married, including The Lost Village of Dode and the Bishop’s Palace in Maidstone.

Do you charge corkage?

No. We allow you to bring in your own alcohol at no additional charge from us. Your caterer will staff the bar for you and can provide glasses, ice and anything else you’ll need.

What kind of tables and chairs do you provide?

We have a mix of six round tables (6 ft diameter) and six rectangular trestles (215cm x 84cm) to fit in the bays of the barn. We provide 100 Cheltenham banquet chairs, in pale wood with dark red velvet seat cushions. There are also two heavy bar tables, and other smaller tables that you can use for presents, or your wedding cake.

How big is the barn?

Do we need to provide towels for the loos?

No, we provide hand towels, loo paper and soap.

Is the barn only suitable for wedding receptions?

No, the barn is a wonderful venue for other celebrations, barn dances, lunch parties, photo shoots and musical events. The barn isn’t suitable for 18th/21st birthday parties or school proms. Nearly all our bookings are for wedding receptions, which means we tend to get booked up a long way in advance, but we do sometimes have last minute availability so please get in touch!

When can we have access to the barn?

We only take one booking per week. For a Saturday event, you will have access on Friday for setting up, and Sunday for clearing up.

Do you allow live music?

Yes, although we do have a sound limiter, which is set high enough for DJs and small bands to play happily. We only allow professional bands to play in the barn, and require all equipment to be PAT tested and musicians to be fully insured. We recommend that drum kits are not used.

We don’t allow any amplified music outside the barn, although string quartets and unamplified solo musicians are welcome during the day.

Do we have to use one of your recommended caterers?

No, but we only recommend caterers we know and trust, so we encourage you to use one of them. However if you would like to use another caterer, we ask that we meet them and approve them before you book.

Do I need a Temporary Event Notice?

If you are having live music or a pay bar, you will need a TEN. It is your responsibility to apply for a TEN if you need one.
If you are hiring in a bar, you should check whether they have already applied for a TEN; if not, you will need to. A TEN costs £21, and you need to apply at least 10 working days in advance of your event. Further guidance is on the TMBC website via the following link:

What directions can I give my guests / taxis to find the barn? 

What3Words for the barn gateway are chain.loses.cheek 

Guests should park in the field opposite the barn entrance (tuned.jets.text) 

Taxis should pick up from the main barn doors (firmly.books.curl) 

There is a cream hanging sign by the entrance: The Black Barn, under Court Lodge Centre sign. Please do not use the farm entrance, with a green hanging sign The Court Lodge, which is private.